The Value of Planning: Good, Bad or Indifferent

Posted by at in ,

I have to admit, I’m having a hard time with today’s April Platform Challenge; creating an editorial calendar for this blog. Ack! Planning? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having a blog in the first place? You have a thought up here and … bleeeah! … it pops up on the internet; all formatted and shiny! All of which explains the frequency and consistency of my efforts to date. That’s a nice way of saying scattered and infrequent. Oh sure, I get on the occasional tear and crank out 10 or 20 posts in a row and then … <crickets/> … <tumbleweeds/>. Today’s exercise seeks to address that. Fortunately for me, Robert didn’t specify a complete calendar (yay!), just that I make strides at creating one. To the Google Docs! Let’s go!

So, I go and open the spreadsheet, put in Sunday through Saturday headers in the top line and … nothing. I got nothing. Hmmm. Perhaps a little forethought. And the light comes on! The purpose of today’s challenge … thinking or at least planning ahead. I need topics!

After a couple of minutes jotting down ideas I came to the conclusion that I have more topics than time. Some of them are going to have a great deal of frequency (Tech/Geek/Nerd); others, no so much (Classic Gaming).  Oh, and writing. Writing, of course. That should figure in big time!

Since I’m running behind on the challenge, I’m setting my goal for May 14th to kick off the new schedule. Look for posts two to three times a week (depending on my Flash Fiction generation from Jeff and Chuck’s prompts). I’m also planning to hatch my wicked plot to take of the world with A Method to The Madness: A Guide To The Super Evil.

It’s going to be busy. Or, at least more organized.

3 comments

Me too. I don't even like the name "editorial calendar." What, am I writing letters to the editor? How bout "creative calendar." This might remind me that I need create fiction or poetry.
My calendar has lots of doctors appointments, kids hockey practices and yes, even a few meetings with people who are kind enough at this point to look at my scribblings.
I will get to the organizing calendar. Like you, I've set a mid May date to get it done, soon as I load up all that job and bio material for LinkedIn and write another blog post.
Keep smiling.

May 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Anonymous

Oh COME ON! You can't say gaming, classic or otherwise, and just walk away. And geek, what flavor? I think that makes "10" of MNINB'rs that are.

Of course I could not suppress my PMI trained self... and when he said calendar, she heard the angels' voices rise in heavenly harmony asking "time to market" and "know your slack".

Nice to meet you Paul!

May 5, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I'm with Kris here! Lots of things involving my kids on my calendar, little time for my stuff! I do like the idea of the calendar, though. I just need to narrow it's scope a bit. instead of trying to organize my entire life into those tiny squares, maybe I can start with a blogging/writing plan!

May 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Post a Comment