NaNoWriMo Notes - Day 1: Project Mjölnir - Phase 1

Posted by at in , , , ,

Check out my page! Just a quick note. You're liable to get a lot of these one offs in the coming weeks. Interesting day so far. I was able to crank out 2111 words before work this morning, so I'm feeling pretty good about my first day's progress. I'm not even going to look at it. I have a feeling that it's mostly dreck, but that's okay.

NaNoWriMo has been having issues with their site, so they haven't published their widgets yet. My home rolled ones failed in Internet Explorer requiring a work around. That was fun. Over on the Project Mjölnir page, I was able to get all my preliminary work done, except a trial podcast. I had been hoping to limber up with a reading of The Raven for Halloween, but I ran out of time. I’ll have to move that down into another phase, along with the forgotten task of obtaining cover art.

Standard caveats apply

I’m going to take a moment here to talk about one the primary tools that I’m using for NaNoWriMo; yWriter. This is near and dear to my heart for a couple of reasons. First, it lends itself very nicely to the research, outline and storyboard approach to novel writing that I’m happiest with. It has a ton of features and is easy to use. Heaps of useful information out on the site.

Secondly, Simon Haynes, creator of yWriter,  is not only a successful application programmer, but also a published novelist. I just love that!

I follow Simon on Twitter and I believe he is in one of my circles on Google+. Other than that, I received no consideration or remuneration for this review. Simon wouldn’t know me from Adam. Well, maybe if Adam has hair.

Until tomorrow (or the next time I can take a breath).


<pitch type="notSubtle>

With all the excitement of NaNoWriMo, it's easy to forget what this is all about; raising money to benefit writing programs for children and adults. NaNoWriteMo is a marathon and like a marathon runner, I am seeking sponsors to help me raise $2500 dollars.

With massive cutbacks in liberal arts funding to public and private schools, now is the time for organizations like The Office of Letters and Light, creators of the National Novel Writer's Month, to step up and bridge the gap. A $10 donation, the price of a single lunch, can help provide needed instruction and foster a life long love of writing in a child. This donation is fully tax deductible.

I'm also giving a private reading of selections from the novel in January for those who donation here. (If you can't attend, I'll be recording it and I'll be happy to send you a link to a downloadable copy.) There will also be a Q & A session after the reading where you can find out about my creative process.

Thank you for your support!

</pitch>

0 comments

Post a Comment