Sunrise

Posted by at in

It's been almost five months since I last posted. It shouldn't come as a coincidence that it has been nearly that long since I have written anything. I could give you a big song and dance about a life changing event, an upcoming milestone, and the loss of a buddy of mine, but I really don't want to come across as all that whiny. Weellll okay, I’m good with a little whine.

As near as I can tell, I started this blog back in May of 2008. Since that time, it has suffered from vapid oratory, benign neglect, unfocused silliness, a major overhaul and many, many tweaks. Now, yon blog is a repository of broke links, wildly inaccurate widgets, and abandoned focus. So, it's with mixed emotions that I bid this little spot on the web farewell. It's time.

My oldest child headed off to college last fall. Her campus is a thousand miles from our home and the act of leaving her felt an awful lot like abandonment. To me, not the her. She was like "Bye, see ya!" The little girl that had been my buddy in both adventure (hunting lizards while camping) and mis-adventure (helping me change the oil in our car, resulting in both of us being covered in it) has grown into a young woman and moved on into another chapter of her life, whether I was ready for it or not. Because, it was time.

This year marks the big five-oh for me. Turning thirty didn't bother me. Neither did turning forty, or any previous birthday. This year though, it's hitting me pretty hard. There are definitely more days behind me than in front. Don't misunderstand, I don't regret one day I've had or any of the life choices I have made; not at all! This isn't a "poor, pitiful me" post. This is more of a "I have limited time and want to make the most of it" post. No, I'm not ill and yes, I realize we all have limited time. This year though, the feeling is visceral, like I need to stop making plans and start executing them. It's time.

As a father and husband, there are many things I want to continue to do and to do better. All that belongs on the other side of the curtain. As for my writing, the reason I ostensibly began this blog in the first place, it's been five years; I either need to get serious about it or stop dilly-dallying with it altogether. I'm choosing to get serious about it. To that end, I'm moving the blog to Paul K. Ellis.com and, once the move is complete, shuttering this one. There are a couple of reasons for the move. Blogger is a fine platform, but I found that I prefer Wordpress. I also want to attempt that "branding" thing all the cool kids keep going on about. And, I want to focus on my writing. I have a couple of stories that I'd like to tell. I'd like to give myself the opportunity to tell them. I think it's time.

That being said, this is my final post at “It was a Dark & Stormy Night.” Thank you all for following me here and please, come see what shenanigans I get up to at Paul K. Ellis.com. I look forward to seeing you there!

3 comments

sometimes life eclipses our very words; keep on truck'in!

April 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the road. All the best

November 25, 2020 at 7:33 AM

Ahaa, its good conversation concerning this article at this place at this blog, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting at this place.

November 25, 2020 at 8:20 AM

Post a Comment