Auto-Social Networking, Part Deux - #MNINB Day 26

Posted by at in ,

Rounding the home stretch with today’s April Platform Challenge is all about spreading the word. I’m a programmer by trade (my wife will say by disposition, as well), so I’m looking for a way to post to my blog and have it automatically propagate out to my social networks, or as I like to call it, my social sphere. So far, I’ve met with mixed results. There doesn’t seem to be a reliable way to accomplish this. Here’s what I’ve found out so far.

Back on Day 19, I talked a little bit about a very helpful site, dlvr.it. Post to an RSS feed (say to your PlusFeed on your Google+ account) and it will automatically propagate to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc..

All which is great, except, it links back to my Google+ feed. In other words, my Facebook post, links to my Google+ post, that links to my blog. That’s two too many clicks. In addition, this setup will post to all the linked accounts from Google+. All my Google+ posts get propagated throughout my social sphere. So, not the best solution.

There is an alternative. I linked my blog’s Feedburner RSS feed to dlvr.it. That way, every time I post here, it blats out to almost my entire social sphere. At the time of this writing, the dlvr.it API doesn’t include Google+. So, I have to post my blog manually there, but it’s one click from everywhere directly to my blog. As with everything, there is a trade off.

1 comments

I keep hearing that auto posting to Facebook lessens the likelihood that your friends and fans will see your post in their newsfeed, so you might want to manually update Facebook.

May 17, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Post a Comment